Luau-Style Pulled Pork BBQ
- 3 lbs pork loin or pork butt*, cut into 3”-4” chunks
2 c BBQ (Duke’s
Southern Sauce Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce, divided into 2-1c portions), additional
to use as a condiment for sandwiches
- ½ c chicken broth or water
- 1½ t salt
- ½ t pepper
- 1 c fresh pineapple, diced
- 1 c white onion, diced
- 1 c green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ c chopped Italian parsley
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 8 buns
- To start, turn instant on sauté setting and add oil to heat.
- Add cubed pork in third or half-batch portions, browning all sides before removing and continuing to brown until all of the pork is browned.
Add broth or water to deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Turn off Instant Pot and place all ingredients, including pre-browned pork into Instant Pot (reserving 1 c of Southern Sauce Duke’s Carolina Gold BBQ sauce for after cooking).
Seal the Instant Pot and cook on HIGH (15-20 minutes per lb or according to appliance instructions) Approximately 50-60 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release 10 minutes before using the ‘quick release’ valve position.
- Open and remove cooked pork to a bowl. Using two forks, shred pork as desired.
- Add remaining BBQ sauce and additional cooking juices to desired sauciness.
- Serve with additional Duke’s Southern sauce.
If using a slow cooker, (skipping the browning step) place all ingredients into a large slow cooker. Add an additional ½ c chicken broth. Cover and cook on HIGH 6-8 hours. Once pork is tender and shreddable, follow remaining instructions listed above.
*pork butt makes for as juicer shredded pork.
Note: optional reserve ½ c pineapple salsa for garnish.