Duke's Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Anyone plagued with an insatiable sweet tooth has tried dozens of chocolate cake recipes and will assure you that no two chocolate cakes are exactly alike. From airy, bakery-style cakes to dense homemade pound cakes, the spectrum of tastes and textures associated with chocolate cakes is vast, and every cake lover has a different go-to recipe. While there are a million ways to make a chocolate cake, there is one essential quality that every cake lover can agree on: the best chocolate cake is a moist chocolate cake. We’re talking about the kind of rich, mash your fork down and the cake sticks to it moist. The kind of chocolate cake so rich in flavor and texture that the only other thing you could possibly need is a cold, tall glass of milk to wash it down.
- 6 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 11/2 cups sugar
- 11/2 cups Duke's Mayonnaise
- 11/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
11/2 cups cold water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 cups confectioner's sugar
6 or more tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F, grease and flour two 8″ cake pans.
- Sift cocoa, flour, baking soda, salt and sugar into a medium bowl, mix well.
- Combine mayonnaise, vanilla and water in an electric mixer at low speed. Once smooth, slowly add in dry mixture until just incorporated (do not over beat).
- Pour batter into cake pans and bake for 30 minutes or until done.
- Cool on wire racks and frost with Duke’s chocolate frosting or your favorite frosting.
- For Duke’s chocolate frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and cocoa with whisk attachment until smooth. Add vanilla. Add confectioner’s sugar alternately with milk until icing reaches a spreadable consistency