Creole Catfish Slider
Starters & Snacks/Tailgate
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. catfish, cut into 2 oz. portions
- 1 qt. frying oil, preferably peanut
- 1/4 head green cabbage, shredded thinly on mandoline
- 1/2 medium sweet yellow onion, shredded thinly on mandoline
- 2 Tbsp. minced parsley
- 1 Tbsp. minced cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. minced chives
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Bread &
- 1/4 cup Duke's Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. green pepper hot sauce
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Set up three bowls, one containing flour, one containing egg and buttermilk, and one containing the cornmeal.
- Season the catfish with Old Bay, salt, and pepper.
- Season each of the three bowls – flour, egg mix, and cornmeal – with salt and pepper as well.
- Dredge the catfish in the flour, then the egg mix, then the cornmeal and set aside for 10 minutes to allow breading to be absorbed.
- Heat oil to 360°F and fry each piece of catfish for 2-3 minutes or until cooked. Immediately drain on paper towels and season with kosher salt.
- Shaved Onion Cabbage Slaw
- Place shredded cabbage and onion in a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes for flavors to develop and to break down the cabbage.
- Green Pepper Mayonnaise
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined.
- Cut the bun in half.
- Place a spoonful of the green pepper mayo on the bottom of the bun and place a pickle on top of the sauce.
- Add the catfish on top of the pickle and top with the slaw.
- Devour immediately!