Chicken and Sweet Potato Waffles
Breakfast and Brunch
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 11/2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 11/2 tsp. granulated onion
- 1/2 tsp. fine ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- 1 cup Duke's Mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 pieces of skin on, bone in chicken
- 2 cups all purpose baking mix
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 11/4 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. Duke's Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes or yams
Sweet Potato Waffles
- Combine flour, spices, and salt together in a shallow dish
- set aside.
- In another dish, combine mayonnaise and buttermilk.
- Heat 1″ of oil in a large, heavy frying pan to about 350°F.
- Dip each piece of chicken into flour mixture, shake off excess, dip into mayonnaise mixture, then dip back into flour.
- Carefully place coated chicken into hot oil, making sure not to crowd the pan. The chicken may need to be cooked in batches.
- Cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 6-10 minutes on each side, while maintaining oil temperature at about 315-330°F.
- Add remaining chicken and cook as above. Cooked chicken should have an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine egg, milk, mayonnaise, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and mashed sweet potatoes to the dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Cook the waffles according to waffle maker instructions.
- Top the waffles with butter, chicken, and maple syrup.