Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
Starters & Snacks
- 11/2 cups cornmeal
- 11/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 11/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup Duke’s Mayonnaise
- 13/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup diced jalapeños (about 3 medium)
- 1-2 sliced jalapeños (optional for top of bread)
- 1 Tbsp. shortening
- Place a 10” cast-iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 425°F.
- While oven is heating, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together mayonnaise and buttermilk, then mix into dry ingredients.
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese and the diced jalapeños.
- When oven is heated, carefully add shortening to pan, swirl to coat, then pour batter into pan. Top with remaining cheese and sliced jalapeños, if desired.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.