Duke's Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Duke’s Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese frosting is the cherry on top of a spring meal at home.
- 2 cups sugar
- 11/2 cups Duke's Mayonnaise
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. Sauer's Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 11/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 cups grated carrots (about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 tsp. Sauer's Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup raisins Frosting
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease two 9″ diameter cake pans with 11/2” high sides.
- Line bottom of pans with wax paper and lightly grease.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, mayonnaise and vanilla in a large bowl until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into sugar mixture and stir to combine.
- Mix in carrots, chopped nuts and raisins.
- Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing equally.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean and cakes begin to pull away from sides of pans, about 45 minutes.
- Cool in pans on racks 15 minutes.
- 1Turn out cakes onto racks and cool completely.
- Use an electric mixer to beat all ingredients in medium bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Place one cake layer on platter. Spread with frosting. Top with other cake layer.
- Using icing spatula, spread remaining frosting in decorative swirls over sides and top of cake.